ROOM: A Sketchbook for Analytic Action embodies a psychoanalytic understanding of how change happens and has become a powerful tool for personal, cultural, and political discourse. ROOM’s submission process parallels the process of free association in psychoanalysis. The editors read all the submissions carefully to assess what will affectively and intellectually deepen our experience of the present moment.
ROOM looks for writing that is in touch with both the mind and the world. We value works of honest inquiry that show us the person alive inside of the poetic voice. We are particularly interested in submissions that negotiate the tension between the political and the personal self. We invite psychoanalysts and therapists as well as writers and poets outside of psychoanalysis to submit.
ROOM publishes 3 issues per year in February, June, and October. The magazine is free and is delivered in 3 formats: a digital PDF for download, a website conceived as an archive, and a print edition.
- Essays in any language* | Max. 1,500 words
- Creative Writing and Memoir | Written in English | Max. 2,000 words
- Poetry | Formats: Written, audio, video, and/or mixed media
- Community Projects
- Books for Potential Review
Artists and photographers are curated by invitation only.
(*) Text in languages other than English are accepted and will be translated by ROOM‘s translators working by hand with the author whenever possible.
- ROOM is open to all.
- The text must be in an editable Word document. PDF is not accepted.
- The entry must be submitted by the author or his/her representative.
- Only one entry per author permitted.
- Authors can enter individually and writing team texts.
- The text entered must be unpublished.
- The text submitted must be original, and entirely the author’s own work.