Room: A Sketchbook for Analytic Action embodies a psychoanalytic and poetic understanding of how change happens and has become a powerful tool for personal, cultural, and political discourse. ROOM’s submission process parallels the process of free association in psychoanalysis. We do not plan themes for the magazine. The editors read all the submissions carefully to assess what will be affectively and intellectually deepen our experience of the present moment. Positioned at the interface between the public and private spheres, ROOM brings an interdisciplinary perspective to bear on complex problems and mirrors our quickly changing socio-political reality. We encourage lesser-heard voices while providing space for stronger more established voices to be heard in new interdisciplinary contexts.
ROOM publishes 3 issues per year in February, June, and October. The magazine is free and is delivered in 3 formats: a digital PDF for download, a website conceived as an archive, and a print edition.
- Essays in any language* | Max. 1,500 words
- Creative Writing and Memoir | Written in English | Max. 2,000 words
- Poetry | Formats: Written, audio, video, and/or mixed media
- Artists and Photographers are curated by invitation only.
(*) Text in languages other than English are accepted and will be translated by ROOM’s translators working by hand with the author whenever possible.
- ROOM is open to all.
- The text must be in an editable Word document. PDF is not accepted.
- The entry must be submitted by the author or his/her representative.
- Only one entry per author permitted.
- Authors can enter individually and writing team texts.
- The text entered must be unpublished.
- The text submitted must be original, and entirely the author’s own work.